Interesting People mailing list archives

Open directories for communication software

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:06:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Robertson <michael () linspire com>
Date: September 18, 2005 6:19:20 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Open directories for communication software

Dave,

Thanks for the post referencing Gizmo Project.

While many people focus on whether software is 'open source' as a litmus test of its goodness, I would contend that for communication software (email, IM, voice, etc) a commitment to open directory and standard protocols is of paramount importance.

As an example we just soft-launched a version of Gizmo Project which implements jabber/xmpp based IM. This means that Gizmo Project users can send/receive IMs to hundreds of open directory jabber IM servers (www.jabber.org/network/). They can also view presence information with users across servers. This is the kind of interoperability IM needs between vendors to create the best consumer experience with healthy competition between directory maintainers and software vendors.

I believe there's still time to save instant messaging from the clutches of proprietary silos (AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN). The best bet is to build momentum behind jabber AND open servers which freely exchange directory information. Google Talk uses jabber so as soon as testing is completed their gateway will be turned with Gizmo which will give it more momentum.

For voice the world needs to support SIP and publicly commit to connect to any and all directories (even competitors) which is what we've done at SIPphone with Gizmo Project. And of course cross- platform software is important to which is why we offer mac/win/lin at gizmoproject.com.

Let me know if you have product suggestions or ideas.

-- MR

Michael Robertson
michael () linspire com  Read the latest Michael's Minute here

Avoid viruses, spyware and save hundreds by using Linspire - the easiest desktop Linux
Call me on Gizmo Project at: michael
MP3tunes - Own your music, don't rent it and listen anywhere with MP3beamer