Interesting People mailing list archives

copying is a favour

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:03:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Wim Lockefeer <wim.lockefeer () gmail com>
Date: September 15, 2005 4:27:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP : copying is a favour

Dave,

for IP if you like.

The Brussels Court of Appeals yesterday ruled that making a private ("backup") copy of a CD that you legally own is not a right. It's a favour granted by the copyright owner in question (the record company). As such, the copyright owner can take away that favour by applying copy protection software on its CD's.

The Court came to this ruling in a case filed by the Belgian customers' affairs group 'Test Aankoop' who argued that copy protected CD's are against the law.

I haven't seen the full text of the ruling - I've only read the (summarised) report in Metro, a Belgian free newspaper.

Will, no doubt, be continued.

Wim Lockefeer