Interesting People mailing list archives

more on eBay VOIP, your first choice?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:41:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: September 14, 2005 6:19:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Burdon Lane <burdonlane () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] eBay VOIP, your first choice?

In message <6C9C3B16-8526-413F-9741-6BE78571E8D1 () farber net>, David Farber writ
es:

From: Burdon Lane <burdonlane () gmail com>

    We do not require a subpoena except for very limited
circumstances. We
require a subpoena when we need the financial information from the site,
credit card info or sometimes IP information."

I foresee some interesting legal discussions on just what this service
is. But U.S. law *prohibits* "a person or entity providing an electronic
communication service to the public" from providing customer records to
a governmental entity except under special circumstances, such as a
valid court order.