Interesting People mailing list archives

SIPphone, Inc. and GizmoProject.com (alternative to Skype?)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:53:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Goldstein <steve.goldstein () cox net>
Date: September 13, 2005 1:07:18 PM EDT
To: "David Farber [IP]" <dave () farber net>
Subject: SIPphone, Inc. and GizmoProject.com (alternative to Skype?)

Dave,

The quality of my Skype calls seems to have degraded in the last month or so, and I am not totally unconcerned about Skype's becoming an arm of eBay. Then, yesterday, I came across this Engadget interview with SIPphone CEO Michael Robertson. I immediately secured a Gizmo Project (the computer software voice calling part) account at http://www.gizmoproject.com/ . The user interface is much like Skype's. Accessories for phone adapters, etc. and account purchase for dial-out/in using the PSTN can be accessed at http://sipphone.com/.

The full interview is worth reading, but I have excerpted a few snippets below.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000070058415

Excerpts:

The Engadget Interview: Michael Robertson, CEO of SIPphone
Posted Sep 12, 2005, 2:23 PM ET by Peter Rojas
Related entries: Interviews, Misc. Gadgets
For this week's Engadget Interview, veteran journalist J.D. Lasica spoke with SIPphone Inc. CEO Michael Robertson about his startup company's battle against Skype (which was purchased by eBay earlier today), the Gizmo Project, open standards, and the coming era of always-on, always-connected voice communication.

Let's start with a quick backgrounder on SIPphone.

SIPphone was started two years ago in San Diego. The goal was to bring Voice Over IP to the mass market. But more than VoIP, the goal was to emphasize SIP, which is an open standards signaling protocol. The goal was to push voice to be more like email and less like instant messaging. With email, you have an email address and you can email anyone in the world and they can email you back. Contrast that with IM, where if you're on MSN I can't instant-message you because you're on Yahoo or someone's on AOL.

At SIPphone we do several things. We run a directory, what people in IP land call a proxy server. This is the server that connects two people. We help SIP hardware manufacturers - these are routers, adapters, and even wi-fi SIPphones. When you buy one of those devices and you plug it in, it has to connect to a directory so it can connect calls and give you a dial phone, so we work with them to make those auto-configure.

And very recently we released software that uses our directory called Gizmo Project. That's in Mac, Windows, and we just added Linux last week.

. . .

Skype just turned 2 this week, and it has 50 million customers, so why would someone choose Gizmo Project instead?

Two big reasons. One, Gizmo Project is open standards based. We'll interact with everyone in the world. With Skype, you can connect only with others who use Skype, and that's not a world that I want. I don't want the world to go like IM, where MSN and Yahoo have their little protected silo of users. I want a world where anyone can call anyone else. Because they're proprietary, there's no WiFi Skype phone today. There's a WiFi SIPphone. So you're beginning to see the world get behind SIP, much as they did with MP3. There wasn't just one company innovating. So people have to decide, do you want a closed world or one that interoperates with everyone else?

Now, there are some feature differences between Skype and Gizmo Project. On the plus side for Skype, they have instant messaging, and we won't be putting out our beta version for another week or two. What we do have is call record, which is great for podcasting. We have unlimited conference calling, free voice mail, call mapping, sound blasts, which is the ability to send sound. So there are a lot of features where we trump Skype. But there's something fundamental behind the scenes that makes us different.

One of the things Skype does, which I think is petty sneaky, is to use your computer to route other people's telephone calls. They could be using your processor and your bandwidth as a supernode to move other people's calls, and that's something that we don't do. We have servers and data centers around the world that relay calls, and we never use your computer for other than your own call. So I think this has made Skype fairly unpopular with enterprises that guard their network resources, and some users have noticed real slowdowns because their computer moves calls for other people. You can't turn it off, too.

Interesting. I have Skype and I wonder if that's why I sometimes have a sluggish connection.

If you open up your Windows task manager, you'll see the CPU taken really zoom up, and that could be because you're routing other people's calls. It happens most often if you have a static IP address.

How does your network's voice quality compare with Skype?

We're both using the GIPS [Global IP Sound] technology - Google licenses it too - and it's a very sophisticated technology that handles network jitter and sees how much bandwidth you're using and adjusts it if you're on dial-up, for example. So the call quality is going to be comparable between the two. The one advantage we may have is that you don't have a third party you're relying on to route your calls, like Skype does. We've deployed routers and data centers around the world: Hong Kong, France, San Jose. So we might have a small call quality advantage because we operate these supernodes. But honestly, the call quality will be pretty much the same.