Interesting People mailing list archives

more on query on eBay to Acquire Skype

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:53:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
Date: September 12, 2005 1:58:02 PM EDT
To: ip () v2 listbox com, dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] query on eBay to Acquire Skype

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: [IP] query on eBay to Acquire Skype
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:47:07 -0400
To: Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: September 12, 2005 12:24:05 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] eBay to Acquire Skype

Dave;

Can anyone on IP project what sort of US regulatory exposure this
will place upon Skype? I have my suspicions, but I would prefer the
opinions of those more immersed in the field.

Well...  Based on eBay's stated "privacy" policy, this will open up pen
tracing to LEOs with just a phone call at the least.

At the worst, Skype users will soon be getting new software that allows
LEOs to backdoor skype crypto and get free access to those phone calls
(also based on eBay's stated "privacy policy"...

Marc