Interesting People mailing list archives

Public Shelters After Katrina [ note taken in a central Baton Rouge location 1 week after djf]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:38:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeremy Hunsinger <jhuns () vt edu>
Date: September 12, 2005 8:44:02 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: For IP: Public Shelters After Katrina

Dave,

Here is Professor Shrum's next write-up of their preliminary research on Katrina's effects. It follows the previous posting on IP.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Wesley Shrum <shrum () lsu edu>
Date: September 12, 2005 7:48:01 AM EDT
To: 'Jeremy Hunsinger' <jhuns () vt edu>
Subject: Public Shelters After Katrina

On Friday, Sept 9, a team of ten people from the Department of Sociology at LSU videotaped thirty qualitative interviews with displaced persons living in a Baton Rouge public shelter. (The shelter was the first and largest collective facility in the city.) The individuals were interviewed from 11am to 4pm. Residents are permitted to leave the space from 7am to 7pm.

Again, we present our preliminary observations, before the tapes have been systematically examined. Our best estimate at the present time is that fewer than 10% and probably closer to 5% of displaced persons are living in shelters. We do recognize that our last couple of points go beyond our
data, but seem critical for future evacuation planning.

--The shelter, though large, is well organized, peaceful, secure--and
relatively empty during daylight hours.  It is well stocked with food,
blankets, medical supplies, and other basic needs items. Families stay together in "residences" and "communities" marked by symbolic indicators. Residents and staff have settled into a routine that is disrupted primarily by the media. Since it was opened, the 5000 residents have been interviewed by approximately 1000 members of the media, (est. by press office). (Note: we conducted interviews within a section of the facility that was relatively
unavailable to the media.)

--Shelter residents are predominantly poor and African American. They are almost exclusively from New Orleans, and are predominantly late evacuees.
(This could be due to the time of day the interviews were conducted.)
Transportation out of New Orleans remains a problem of unknown significance, since many of these individuals, while poor, view their lack of evacuation
as a choice (part of a hurricane culture).

--Shelter residents were appreciative of the aid provided. We considered
describing their general mood as "satisfied" with the assistance, but
"resignation" is more accurate. It is impossible to overemphasize that no one wanted to be there and many had lost most or all of their possessions.

--The most important reason these individuals now reside in this public facility is that they did not use remote family & friendship networks for evacuation support. We have not yet been able to determine whether this was because they did not possess such networks or did not activate ties that did, in fact, exist but were unused owing to issues involving reciprocation and information search. Another issue that will be important to resolve is
whether the lack of a place to stay and transportation encouraged
risk-taking (staying behind) or whether the decision to stay was primary,
and it was simply their lack of networks that resulted in shelter
residence. It did seem to us that improved ability to send and receive personal information would have reduced the likelihood of shelter residence.

--The data base now being created for public facilities should include
information on network ties to facilitate the transition from collective to
private residences.

Summarized by W. Shrum, 9 September 2005