Interesting People mailing list archives

on the folly of trusting cell phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:08:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: gailbracy <gailbracy () homelandhugs org>
Date: September 11, 2005 3:56:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: on the folly of trusting cell phones

A little humor about cell phones in dire straits, for an unusually dreary
day...

My husband and I were in NYC August 2003, when the lights went out. That
afternoon, a Friday, he had taken the train to Long Island, and I was
browsing about, window-shopping, trying to stay in shade as it was
horrifically hot and muggy. I'd just sat down at an outside café across from
Rockefeller Plaza having a cool snack, getting energy to get back to the
Hilton where we were staying on the 27th floor.

Across the plaza was an exhibit of "One Hundred Years of Flight" which
coincided with the Wright Brothers accomplishments. I was raised on the
coast of North Carolina, and even though they were from Ohio, we claimed The Brothers as our own. I'd visited the Wright Brothers museum in Kitty Hawk
many times as a child.

As I viewed the various exhibits, I noticed people pouring out of the
buildings in what seemed to me to be droves. It was so odd that so many were coming out at once, but I'm not a New Yorker, and it was after all, Friday
afternoon.

But it soon became obvious this wasn't a typical Friday. People walking in the middle of streets, thousands of them, cars jamming into gridlock. Wowsa! I'm thinking. I asked a guy what was going on and found out the power went
out, that's all he knew. Then I noticed many fiercely dialing their cell
phones, with no luck. I got worried then hugely spooked. Electric adrenaline shot through my body as I worked my way back to the area where all the news
stations were. Maybe the tickers would say something...

For a few dreadful minutes, we were all thinking the same thought: this
maybe another terrorist attack. My blood turned cold but there was nothing
to do but wait. My cell phone didn't work either. A street vendor had a
battery-powered radio and hoards of us gathered around to hear scary yet
false reports that a power plant in Jersey was on fire.

Gulp.

But I had my camera and no matter what, I was going down taking pictures.
Maybe my camera will endure and some good soul will find it and tell my
story. I accepted my fate, and started snapping.

And then, a call!! It was my son down in North Carolina, asking me how I was doing. He told me the details of the black-out and that he was watching it all on MSNBC. I was standing at the blue CNN sculpture and my son could see that whole area from a camera that was apparently stationed somewhere above
me.

I got directly in front of the CNN sculpture and amid the masses, started jumping up and down in my bright red shirt so he could spot me on TV and he did! We then tried to determine where the camera was. He was hanging out of a window on the fourth floor of the NBC building! So, ham that I am, told my
son to roll the video tape, I'm going to get this guy's attention.

Across the from the NBC building, I stand on the edge of a fountain, with my working cell phone in hand frantically waving. Sure enough the camera guy sees me, panned in and my son tapes silly me, yukking it up in the middle of
chaos.

Then, in one crazy-cool moment, my cell phone slipped from my hand, a fatal "kerplop", and there it goes, drowning in the fountain behind me. I trudged into the water to retrieve it, as New Yorkers around me rolled their eyes at
the stupid tourist.

Needless to say, I felt immensely foolish killing off the one working cell
phone in Manhattan, but I sure had some great photos.  I got back to the
Hilton, climbed the 27 floors to my still-chilled room, watched the
blackened skyline and thanked my lucky stars above it was "merely" a power
failure.

Finally, as New York began blinkering back to life, I heard a frail little
chirp from my cell phone, and there in the dark, it came back to life.