Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Santorum: Still Disconnected

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 07:03:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Lee <robertslee () verizon net>
Date: September 9, 2005 8:15:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Santorum: Still Disconnected

The single and pure idea that a government, national or local, should be
prohibited from providing any service that a private enterprise wants to
provide is idiotic.

Let's say I want to start a company that puts out fires.  Should I get a
congressman or city councilman to introduce a law that outlaws cities
from "competing" with me?  I think my business model will be to
negotiate the charge for this service at the time of the fire.  I will
charge X for putting it out within 2 hours, 2X withing 1 hour, and 4X
for leaving immediately.

Free enterprise at work.

What if I want to start a company that does zoning?  Policework?

Santorum is the dumbest senator in Washington.  The National Weather
Service should collect all the data points but refuse to pass them on to
the American public so that a private service can charge them?

There are services that are common good services, that address the basic
welfare of our people.  Police protection, fire extinguishing, weather
forecasting are services that address the basic physical welfare of a
citizenry and anyone who wants to prevent the government from providing
them is a fascist.

If Santorum truly believes in free enterprise and free choice, let him
encourage AccuWeather to convince their customers that their forecasts
are worth paying despite those of the National Weather Service being
free.

The man is a disgrace.