Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Any ideas of what ELN is up to

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:24:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rehmi Post <rehmi () media mit edu>
Date: September 8, 2005 4:57:51 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Any ideas of what ELN is up to

Dave,

Recently I've observed that Symantec Mail Security rejects ASCII
email messages containing lines beginning with two or more hyphens,
such as in the signature appearing in every message to the IP list.
You might try replacing the hyphens with underscores and resending
to test this hypothesis.

IANAMCSE, but this is probably Symantec's hedge against a sloppy
MIME decoder somewhere in the Windows code base. Per RFC1521, MIME
containers are delimited by unique tokens that begin with two hyphens
at the start of a new line.

So now we must all forgo the ability to write arbitrary ASCII messages
in order to (potentially) protect a few from insecure proprietary code.
Just another tragedy of the commons brought to you by Microsoft and our
increasingly security-obsessed culture.

Rehmi