Interesting People mailing list archives

more on NYT op-ed: Waiting for a Leader

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:45:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: September 7, 2005 5:24:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, jean_camp <jean_camp () harvard edu>, Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on NYT op-ed: Waiting for a Leader

Rumour has it David Farber, on or about 07/09/2005 4:40 PM, forwarded:

In part it's a low probability event, and you can't prepare for everything.

True, but you can prepare for one of the worst 3 disasasters the US could suffer. And again, whatever previous analyses have shown, any forecast within the last 5 years would have shown that the delta would be the subject of a Cat 4
or Cat 5 hurricane at least once a decade.

In part it's just New Orleans -- other localities are hurt but recovering.

They are not as big, nor still covered in toxic water.

And in part it's state and local
officials who thought that they didn't have to plan because FEMA would
take over,

True dat. And I guess no one thinks too highly of governmental competance and
ethics (can we make a case for the 2 being related) in La.

and FEMA didn't realize that they were going to have to be
a first responder (that's not their mission).

I have to disagree here - FEMA has seen the reality and run enough excercises to know that when the hurricane hits the coastline, the locals are swamped. That is what FEMA is for. They still haven't explain to any satisfactory degree why
they rejected so much offered help.  The job they do year-round includes
planning for eventualities just like this - they may not have the specific details down, and they may not have a hardened bunker on every block in the US but the level of competance they have shown (especially when compared to last
years triple header in Florida) is lacking to say the least.

This summer I have seen courts and governments all over the world staggering about like they were all suffering from sun stroke, I think they should all be required to stop passing laws and rendering judgements between May 1 and Sept 1. They all seem incompetant in their own special way, but as Olberman said in his rant: "government has no purpose other than to make the lives of it's citizens better". If I _have_ to pay taxes to all 3 levels of government, then by <insert important figure of your choice here> I want my money's worth which is
exactly what the citizens of New Orleans did not.

Cheers,
Chris

PS - If we can't complain about Michael Brown because FEMA has done well in the
past under his watch, what reasons can we give?
--
Chris Beck  -  http://pacanukeha.blogspot.com
La loi dans sa majestueuse égalité, interdit à tous, aux riches comme