Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Katrina and the folly of trusting cell phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 06:18:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: September 1, 2005 12:26:54 PM EDT
Subject: RE: [IP] Katrina and the folly of trusting cell phones

Expensive dedicated radios are just as bad as 9/11 demonstrated.

As I keep pointing out we need are simple packet radios that automatically
configure into a mesh and connect via whatever transport including
satellite links. If they are packaged properly and can use various sources
of power ranging from batteries to solar to "whatever" then they can be
deployed from the air.

Using asymmetric radio approaches the power can be in larger base units a
distance a way and using unbounded spread spectrum and redundancy some
portions of the signal should be detectable despite obstacles.

The downside is that this may work too well compared with traditional
cellular even under the best circumstances. Without the burden of billing
it would be just like the rest of the Internet -- too good for people to
accept the concept. And we can't risk that can we?