Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Network feud leads to Net blackout

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 06:24:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Porten <civitan () jeffporten com>
Date: October 6, 2005 3:26:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Network feud leads to Net blackout

Dave --

Hoping you can spur an IP discussion on this. One of my association clients is on the receiving end of this problem, and several of their VIP academic members are on the other end. They have a Class C on a non-redundant Level3 T1 drop, and all of the redundancy or switching options we've discussed today sound very painful.

Hoping for some IP replies on what people bitten by this can do about it, if anything. I told my clients that given the scale of the problem, customer complaints won't do much, but the number of outages would spur relatively rapid action regardless. Am I correct in this? Is this what happened during the 2001 depeering?

Suggestions, comments, cups of hot tea appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Porten