Interesting People mailing list archives

google and dave lashmet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 05:30:07 -0400

one side of it djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: DLashmet () stansberryresearch com
Date: October 5, 2005 4:56:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: google and dave lashmet

Dave:

You may remember, you helped me as an outside expert, reviewing Lumera's wi-max antennas. I run an objective small cap equity research service called Diligence.

Well, one of the small companies I cover is Autonomy -- an internet search service that rivals Google. But ever since I wrote that Autonomy is a better investment than Google, I've had no end of grief from my Google e-mail account.

For starters, I got a 24 hour freeze on my account, for "unauthorized activity." Then, my outgoing g-mails were selectively censored. And now, my editior's IN-COMING g-mails are being censored, if they come from my company server.

Apparently, Google is black-listing me and everything associated with my business. Ironic, since Google's company motto is "play nice."

What's scary is, Google presents itself as a sort of technocrat's nirvanna: where all the software works, all the time. But if you point out problems with Google, you get erased.

You're welcome to post this to "interesting people." I figure, the difference between a martyr and a homocide is the message of your absence.