Interesting People mailing list archives

choice - Re: more on worth reading A REPLY FROM Vixie on Neustar to create their own DNS root and own universe to rule

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:06:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rusty Hodge <rusty () hodge com>
Date: October 3, 2005 1:54:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: choice - Re: [IP] more on worth reading A REPLY FROM Vixie on Neustar to create their own DNS root and own universe to rule

To my mind that question is much like the question of what kinds of products should be on the shelves of supermarkets - it's a choice for the supermarket owner to make. But if that owner puts too few choices on his/her shelves then the buying public will go elsewhere.

The problem with this statement is that in many places there aren't adequate choices. When the 2 dominate supermarket chains replace the "national brands" with their own house brands, everyone suffers.

Suddenly, I have to go to several stores to buy what I previously could buy at one. My shopping takes significantly longer, and I end up paying much more for the same things I used to be able to get at Safeway.

Take this to the ISP level - the customer can't change easily. Customers are largely at the whim of their ISP of which root DNS to use. And even if they select a different DNS server locally, most ISPs won't let customers run their own mail servers, so your mail will be handled by the DNS that your ISP chooses.

And worse yet- what happens when alternative roots start serving different versions of the .com zone?! Will you have to register your domain with all the approved zone operators of all the root operators?

In the top level domain name space, if we consider TLDs as brands, then those who "own" those brands would be able to use the force of trade/service mark law to take down those who try to establish TLDs using those same names. I.e. with .com as a brand, Verisign (or whoever we decide is the "owner") could take down any purported .com clone.

Do we have time to let the law decide these things? Why make an opportunity for these kinds of disputes to happen at all?