Interesting People mailing list archives

more on legal points djf An author's dissent on Google Print

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:44:26 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cindy Cohn <cindy () eff org>
Date: October 30, 2005 5:12:43 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on An author's dissent on Google Print

Dave,

One last message to clarify some of the legal cases and doctrines that have been thrown around.

The MP3.com case will certainly be cited by the parties. I think it's distinguishable because MP3.com was offering the whole work to its users (via streaming if I remember right), not just snippets. MP3.com wasn't about finding works, it was about letting users experience the whole works. Google is about finding works and they only let you see snippets (I think Lauren worries that Google is going to do more than that and my view is that if the evidence proves that the facts are different than Google claims, then we need a different analysis, but I don't think the current lawsuit is based on fears that Google will do more than offer snippets).

The case that will be relied upon by Google, likely, is Kelly v. Arribasoft:
http://www.eff.org/IP/Linking/Kelly_v_Arriba_Soft/
That had to do with searching, like this, and in it the 9th Circuit held that making thumbnails of bigger works for purposes of an image search engine was fair use. No doubt the AG and publishers will argue that Kelly can be distinguished, but I submit that on its facts, it's closer to what Google was doing than the MP3.com case -- making copies that help the public find works rather than replacing the experience of a work.

As for the assertions from some that copyright law flatly prevents copying of an entire work, that is just nonsense. See 18 U.S.C. 107, for the listing of the 4 factors. Nothing in the fair use doctrine prohibits a finding that use of an entire work is fair. Sony v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417, 450 (1984). The amount of copying is a factor in the fair use analysis, but it's only one. In fact, it's not even the most important factor. The courts have pretty uniformly said that the most important factor is the effect on the market for the work and here my assertion is that no one can seriously argue that a Google snippet is a substitute for purchasing a whole book.

BTW, as the citation above demonstrates, if copying of the entire work was per se infringement, the Betamax case would have come out the other way. You make an entire copy when you use your VCR. Another case that would have come out another way is the OPG v. Diebold case which I won last year, where students at Swarthmore copied an entire email archive owned by Diebold and posted it on their website to demonstrate that Diebold knew about flaws in it electronic voting machines. Again, the court found fair use despite the fact that the students copied the entire work, and Diebold ended up paying EFF and our clients a total of $125,000, for falsely representing that the archive was infringing to the ISP hosting the website.

Cindy