Interesting People mailing list archives

more on An author's dissent on Google Print

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:01:20 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: October 30, 2005 4:35:47 PM EST
To: Cindy Cohn <cindy () eff org>, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on An author's dissent on Google Print

From: Cindy Cohn <cindy () eff org>
Date: October 30, 2005 1:55:01 AM EST

Hi Cindy! Angle of Repose - Good book (and part of it is set here in Santa Cruz.)

Getting onto Google:

My own analysis is pretty simple (minded?):

1. Has a copying occurred?

2. Is the copying permitted by an implied or actual license?

3. If not licensed, is the copy covered by "fair use"?

As for question #1, there is no doubt that a full and complete copy is being made. Every word, photograph, and drawing is being copied.

(Note - there are other ways in which this could be done in which a copy is not made. For example, Google could provide tools to libraries to do the scanning/indexing on their own facilites and send the results, and only the results, to google. That would be the the penultimate kind of opt-in [the ultimate being that they send physical copies to google.])

As for question #2. I think that we all agree that this is a question that only exists in the absence of an express license permitting or denying copying. Brad seems to have hit the nail on the head by recognizing that this is really a question of opt-in vs opt-out for works that have no explicit license and for which it is difficult to locate the copyright owner and ask him/her for permission.

That said, I'd like to point out that the absence of a robots.txt file containing a prohibition does not, to my mind, constitute a license to copy. The copyright laws used to require the old circle-C marking, but that has been removed and replaced by a more liberal policy of making all works copyrighted the moment they are affixed to a medium. A robots.txt file is merely a technical convention known only to a few cognsecenti. It is not recognized (yet) by copyright law as constituting a license (or prohibition). And, from my point of view the worst feature of robots.txt, is that it does not move with the work, thus creating an ambiguity when the work reaches the next tier or recipient - that person (and all his/her sucessors) do not get the robots.txt file. Are we creating some sort of bona fide purchasor situation for copyrighted works that are copied without their associated (if any) robots.txt file?

A while back I started putting a Creative Commons license on most (but not all) things I write. That practice is, I believe, the right way to go as it is very explicit about what my intentions, as copyright holder, are.

I, like many others, am concerned about the fate of orphaned works and I believe that the answer ought to be in the hands of a legislature rather than by bold assertions by search engine companies.

As for question #3, I personally don't find "fair use" in Google's copying. Others come out on the other side, often based on the (admitted) huge social value that arises from these indexes.

There is no doubt that web indexes are a valuable contribution. And I believe that most authors would chose, if presented with the question, decide to participate. (I also believe that if most authors were presented with the question that eventually there would evolve some sort of regime in which assent was assisted by a taste of the monetary action that the search engines generation - whether that happens would be a matter of free economic interchange that is very unlikely under the unilaterial and unnegotiated take-without-asking regime of today.)

The "fair use" exception to copyright generally is for uses that are grounded in altrustic motives (money can be made, but it seems that making money should be subordinate to improving the public weal.) And google is hardly an altruistic organization; it's board members and officers could find themselves rightfully at the wrong end of the stick if they should subordinate shareholder value to the improvement of the internet.

Moveover, "fair use" seems to encompess transformative and derivative uses that involve the exercise of the human mind to refine, analyse, or reflect upon the principal work. Google does not have that characteristic - it is really nothing more than a mindless and mechanical conversion of the words and phrases of a work into an inverted index.

I worked for several years as a bibliographer for a work on the biochemestry of aging. The index and list of references that we created required me (and the professors I worked for) to read every work to pull out the principal thoughts and concepts and to assess the credibility of the work. To me that's the kind of thing that fair use is all about when we talk about constructing indices.

And it seems that the card-catalog analogy is inappropriate because we are talking about a copying that creates far more than merely a card in a traditional card catalog. We are talking about a system that creates a large body of meta-information, the word(phrase)-to- document/URL data, that does not exist for a card catalog that is indexed merely by author, title, and library coding system number (which implies a bit, but not much more, about the subject matter.)

By-the-way, we are all ignoring the elephant in the corner - the fact that google routinely retains (and makes available to the public) full copies of the original works in its "cache".

My bottom line is that this the law of copyright seems a bit disconnected from the actual intention of people and from the new social reality of the internet. (Nothing new about the disconnect.) But it seems that the answers need to be worked out not by unilateral action by search engine companies (although that is useful to set the stage for discussion) but rather through debate and ultimately by legislation. (In this case, because we are going to have intellectual property interests on both sides of the debate, I'm not as concerned as I might be about the too often occuring abandonment of the public interest by the legislature as it awards the prize to the side that makes the greatest financial contributions and has the most expensive lobbyists.)

        --karl--