Interesting People mailing list archives

more on An author's dissent on Google Print

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:17:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: October 29, 2005 8:00:37 PM EDT
To: julian.dibbell () gmail com
Cc: dave () farber net, lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] An author's dissent on Google Print

From: Julian Dibbell <julian.dibbell () gmail com>
Date: October 29, 2005 7:06:48 PM EDT
Google
Print for Libraries is essentially making the same offer -- and saving
publishers and authors the trouble of sending in the copies.
The rights for the first book have reverted to me, and I
have submitted it to the Google Print for Publishers program because
frankly, whenever they get around to copying my intellectual property
out of some library won't be soon enough for me.

Julian and Dave,

I believe that the statements quoted above illustrate key aspects of
the concerns.  Google isn't "making an offer" to authors when it
comes to Google Print for Libraries-- that implies asking permission
ahead of time -- which clearly Google hasn't been doing.  And you
note that you have submitted your book (to Google Print for
Publishers) -- indicating that you had free choice.  This is in
contrast to Google Print for Libraries, where Google's plan has
simply been to make the copies without affirmative permission unless
publishers individually opt-out every book of concern.

Individual choice is really at the heart of the matter.

In the privacy arena (especially on the Web), I've frequently noticed
how various dubious projects have sucked in users by default, often
with complex "opt-out" procedures to "permit" them to escape (that
is, when escape is permitted).  The people behind these business
plans almost inevitably proclaim how incredibly wonderful their
services are for consumers, and how almost everyone will love it.

If I suggest that a service that's so great should have no problem
operating on an opt-in rather than opt-out basis, these folks clam
up suddenly.  They know damned well that a lot of people -- perhaps
most people -- won't be interested in participating and would not
opt-in, so conscription becomes the order of the day.

It appears likely that some of the same reasoning is behind Google
Print for Libraries in significant respects.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com