Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Breathalyzers and Open Source

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:49:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ed Biebel <edward () biebel net>
Date: October 28, 2005 10:22:45 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Breathalyzers and Open Source

In addition, I believe that in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey agreeing to submit to a breathalyzer or blood test is a condition of having a driver's license. Refusing to take the test can result in an immediate suspension of
your driver's license (6 months to a year I believe).

A friend of mine that is attorney recommended not refusing the tests
(especially for a first offense) because he said that at trial a good
attorney would have leeway to present mitigating issues, challenge the
accuracy of the tests, plea to a lesser charge for a lighter sentence, etc. However the refusal of the test was cut and dry and essentially resulted in
a mandatory punishment.

While IANAL and I'm not advocating people drink and drive (or avoid
punishment if they do), I thought this was an interesting legal perspective
worth mentioning.

-Ed