Interesting People mailing list archives

Different type of NPR censoring

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:55:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: rik () spirit com (Rik Farrow)
Date: October 27, 2005 12:55:24 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: rik () spirit com
Subject: Different type of NPR censoring

Hi Dave:

I am not subscribed to IP, but a friend who is pointed out that a
somewhat related incident was mentioned there:

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200509/ msg00318.html

On October 26, I was in my wife's art studio when NPR presented the
news at 1100 MST. She listens to KJZZ out of Tempe, AZ, but via
a repeater named KJZA in Prescott, AZ. Most of the time, the repeater
station does just that--repeats everything that comes from KJZZ,
including Phoenix area traffic reports, state news, etc. On Saturdays,
KJZA does present a couple of hours of local programming, so they
do have a studio and can insert their own programming.

Three times, during presentation of the NPR news regarding the
investigation of various members of the Bush administration regarding
Valerie Wilson, the news was interrupted by a local promo for KJZA.
Each time, the promo started at some point after the news regarding
the investigation had begun. It was never synced up perfectly, and
would begin sometime between five and 20 seconds after reporting
of the investigation began.

Most radio stations are "robotic", as the author of the message
referred to above mentions. Better to stay that radio stations are
run by software, that plays everything, including commercials and
station ID, from files stored on a hard drive, or a live feed. My
son was a DJ for six years, so I had some experience with how this
works. It is designed to that segments of shows or commercials do
not overlap, as happended here, unless a human has manually
intervened.

The implication is that someone in Prescott objected to the news,
and "censored" it by playing a sixty second local promo.

You can forward this to your list if you like. I sent email to the
station manager of KJZZ, and they responded saying they would look
into it.

Regards,
Rik Farrow