Interesting People mailing list archives

This Just in: Flops Caused Box Office Slump

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:40:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: October 1, 2005 11:49:57 AM EDT
To: Infowarrior List <infowarrior () g2-forward org>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: This Just in: Flops Caused Box Office Slump

Give it a week, the MPAA will blame file-sharing for this slump and say the execs quoted in this article were quoted out of context....../ conspiracy.

-rick

This Just in: Flops Caused Box Office Slump
Studio execs who pinned problems on factors beyond their control now take
responsibility.
By Claudia Eller and John Horn
Times Staff Writers

October 1, 2005

One of Hollywood's basic tenets is that when things go wrong it's somebody
else's fault.

Which is why it's so startling, suddenly, to hear studio executives and
producers taking responsibility for the rows of empty seats in movie
theaters this year.

"It's really easy for all of us to blame the condition of the theaters, gas prices, alternative media, the population changes and everything else I've heard myself say," said Sony Pictures Vice Chairman Amy Pascal, whose summer releases "Bewitched" and "Stealth" flopped. "I think it has to do with the
movies themselves."

After months of hand-wringing and doomsday forecasts about the permanent
erosion of moviegoing, the lunchtime chatter at Mr. Chow in Beverly Hills and other industry haunts has turned decidedly inward. Now, four straight weekends of crowded theaters have forced moguls and creative executives to
admit in public what they have spent months avoiding: They were clueless
about what audiences wanted.

"There's always a year when the pundits say the movie business is over,"
said producer Brian Grazer, whose May release "Cinderella Man" was a
disappointment despite strong reviews. "If there's a movie people want to see, they go see it. I just think we all have to do our best to make better
movies."

< snip >

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-boxoffice1oct01,0,5042859.story