Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:34:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Christopher F. Herot" <cherot () herot com>
Date: October 26, 2005 5:12:15 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: gerry-faulhaber () mchsi com
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

I'm sure Lee carefully read the Term of Use just as do all conscientious
consumers. And I'm sure the salesperson in the Apple Store makes sure that all consumers are aware of each and every paragraph before they purchase an
iPod.  (For some egregious examples see
http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/22/rtf_eula/).

Gerry may correct that Apple is within its rights to devise a business model
of its choosing.  Lee (and Walt and the rest of us) are also within our
rights to complain and to bring said complaints to the attention of other consumers before they invest too much in a system that may not meet their
needs.

Where I have real problems with this situation is when one group of
companies purchases legislation such as the DMCA that makes the state a
party to these business arrangements.