Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FBI documents obtained via FOIA indicate Patriot Act abuses [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:26:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: October 26, 2005 3:00:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FBI documents obtained via FOIA indicate Patriot Act abuses [priv]

Dave,

I think what many miss is that before, lots of illegal stuff was inadmissible in court and hence made it more difficult to use. Now in some cases there is provision for not even going to court and effectively indeterminate detention. That is what makes the surveillance more problematic. It's not the lack of penalties so much as the freedom to use this material now.