Interesting People mailing list archives

more on [Fwd: NASA Announces Results From Beam & Tether Challenges]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:20:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kent Quirk <kent_quirk () cognitoy com>
Date: October 25, 2005 10:47:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on [Fwd: NASA Announces Results From Beam & Tether Challenges]

David:

(for IP)

What's sad about this is that just as we're seeing this level of innovation in adults, we may be destroying it at the student level. I had lunch today with a co-worker who occasionally assists in judging the science fairs in his local school system. He was lamenting the fact that because of various insurance and state regulations, he's seeing fewer and fewer experiments and more and more research reports done by poking around Google.

He pointed to several well-intentioned complications in the science fair regulations:

* Students are forbidden from doing joint projects with teachers, apparently to avoid the appearance of impropriety. * Regulations forbid all experimentation on humans -- even such things as blind taste tests. Throw out pretty much any experiment having to do with perception. * All experiments must be planned and documented and submitted to a review committee in advance of doing them. You'd better know your answers before you do the experiment. Students who learn by doing? Sorry.

There are still independent competitions like the FIRST Robotics competition, but the level of financial involvement required for something like that excludes a lot of students.

Fortunately, we still have things like Make magazine and hackaday.com.

   Kent Quirk
   Software Architect
   http://www.cosmicblobs.com

Begin forwarded message: