Interesting People mailing list archives

satire vs. reason

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:30:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 25, 2005 1:36:17 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: satire vs. reason

I refer all to the wikipedia article on satire: http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

The value of satire is that it creates extreme stress emphasizing weaknesses in the presumptions made in an otherwise "obvious" metaphor or analogy.

It isn't a form of humor, but a way of sounding an alarm.

The goal of satire is to make readers and its targets very uncomfortable with their assumptions.

Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" is satire at its best. It's offensive and discomforting. Elements of its logic seem quite reasonable, yet the entire effect is revolting and ugly.

I find Anonymous's piece completely absurd, myself. But its assertions are clearly calculated to make everyone, including me, extremely uncomfortable! Perhaps that is because there is no comfortable place to be on these issues. When the law itself is an ass, it's hard to find comfort in taking the law seriously.

Dave - I do believe that your use of quotations and extracts from [copyrighted*] sources are justified and ought to be treated as fair use, and I would stand firmly in your defense on that ground. You do a great service for all of us. Yet it seems likely to me that the law and legislation continues to move in a direction that will make what you do quite illegal.

It seems to me that copyright law should serve to increase social good. Human society don't exist to serve the needs of copyright law, however loudly its partisans sing its praises.

* The word "copyrighted" is redundant here since copyrights in *all* original writings (except works for hire) are owned by the author from the time the writings are fixed in written form. That's been true since the 1960's when registration requirements and notice requirements were explicitly removed.