Interesting People mailing list archives

Google library project issue begs a question

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:18:40 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Johnson <sjohnson () pobox com>
Date: October 24, 2005 4:11:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Fwd: Google library project issue begs a question

this comes from reece () pobox com (asking a question we've all wondered about at some point):

As the former Intel intranet search engine guru I have one question that
begs an answer.

The publishers complain that the Google project will deny them the possiblity of someday coming up with their own, revenue-enhancing full-text search tool. So why hasn't that happened by now for their recent catalog?

For quite at least one and possibly several decades all books have been put into digital format at some point for editing and typesetting purposes. Yet the publishing websites I checked out only allow searching by the traditional card catalog fields. Full text information retrieval tools have been around a long time. I bet I could hack out a prototype in a about a week. What's
taking the publishing industry so long?????

John Reece
Truckee, CA