Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:15:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: lee.h.elliott () accenture com
Date: October 24, 2005 9:40:55 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Media Companies Go Too Far in Curbing Consumers' Activities

As a personal example of this, I purchased a song from iTunes for the
first time the other day.  Foolishly I thought that I would be able to
listen to my song on my Creative Zen MP3 player, but it is not an iPod
so I can not.  I guess I could go through the whole routine of burning a
CD then ripping the song off the CD and importing to my Zen, but I think
it is far easier to go to one of the P2P networks and download a copy of
the song that I already own that doesn't have DRM.

This follows on several of the themes that are being pursued by IP
recently. The cell phone issue is the same as the DRM issue: the
consumer is not allowed to use the technology/product that they have
legally purchased in the way that they want to.  I have an AT&T phone
that works on the Rogers Network (Canadian) but they won't activate it
because it is from the US.  They will sell me the exact same phone, but
won't let me use the one I have.

Everyone keeps talking about the eventual revolution when the consumers
finally wake up to what is going on, but I think the main issue is that
the people 'in the know' are the ones on the fringes of society.  The
majority of the consumers are happy to buy the computer with a 'DRM
enabled' Intel chip because it is on sale, or keep their existing cell
phone plan because they 'have to'.

With all the consolidation that is happening with the major corporations
(look at Sony as not only the manufacturer of the wonderful gear we use,
but as the supplier of the content as well) they are going to put these
consumer unfriendly technologies in place.  How long can we at the
fringes hold out?  How do we make the 'masses' aware of what's going on
and organize the proper revolt?

Lee

Lee Elliott
Manager, Communications & High Technology
e:Lee.H.Elliott () Accenture com
o:416.641.3284
c:647.299.1731