Interesting People mailing list archives

more on (Satire) Expanding the "Google Print" Concept to Other Media

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:15:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim O'Reilly <tim () oreilly com>
Date: October 23, 2005 5:56:06 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] (Satire) Expanding the "Google Print" Concept to Other Media

On Oct 23, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Lauren Weinstein wrote:

My latest "Reality Reset" column takes a satirical look at a way for
people to obtain vast amounts of free music and movies, by expanding
the "Google Print for Libraries" concept to these other usually
copyrighted media.

The column is titled:

   "Free for All: The Google Excuse"

and is at:

   http://www.vortex.com/reality/2005-10-23

Lauren's right that eventually there will be a search index for music and movies as well as for books, and is that so bad? So far, online search has been a boon, helping people to discover content, increasing the value of the content that is found, rather than devaluing it. Why should it be different for these media types?

Lauren is echoing the fear-mongering of the publishers. This is not about making free content available to all. Google is very clear that all they'll be providing is snippets, as they do in current search engines, unless a book is out of copyright, or has been explicitly opted in by the publisher. And the fact that Google requires a full copy in order to create the index is consistent with many other forms of technology. Every email or attachment you send over a computer network is "copied" (and perhaps even backed up) on many different computers, without your explicit knowledge and consent. That's the way computers pass data around -- they make copies.

Regarding the debate about opt-out or opt-in, Google Print for Libraries follows exactly the same approach to copyright as web search engines. Web pages are also copyrighted material. Can you imagine a world in which search engines had to ask web sites for permission to copy and create an index of their content? As John Battelle describes in his book, The Search, there were in fact web page providers who made this argument in the early days of search engines. But common sense prevailed, and the valuable search engine world we take for granted today was born.

The publishers' position, that Google should ask them for permission, rather than that copyright holders who don't want to be indexed should opt out, is the only practical solution. Under the publisher solution, the only works to be indexed will be those that the publishers are currently pushing. And as Larry Lessig is fond of pointing out, the works that are currently in print and supported by publishers are only a small fraction of all the published works that are still in copyright.

If the publisher position were to prevail, the millions of works that are in those libraries might as well stay there, never to get on the net. Publishers no longer care about them, in many cases no longer even know whether they have rights to them.

On the other hand, if Google's position prevails, we have this amazing discovery mechanism that will help us to rediscover lost works, as well as to find works that are in print but are not available in stores. That's why the NY Times titled my op-ed essay on the subject "Search and Rescue." (http://radar.oreilly.com/ archives/2005/09/ny_times_op_ed_on_authors_guil.html )

We've done a study of how online access relates to print book sales by comparing figures from Neilsen BookScan point of sale data for print book sales with online access via our Safari Books Online service, and what we've found confirms Chris Anderson's "Long Tail" theory -- but with a couple of twists. First, there is a disproportionate level of access online to books that are largely unavailable in print -- 23% of Safari access comes from books that represent only 6% of print sales; and second, and even more interesting, the long tail shows a number of spikes -- much like a Stegosaurus tail -- that shows where books that were "lost" in print have been rediscovered online. (I'll be publishing more detailed information on this study soon, and will send a note when it's available, but I couldn't let Lauren's mis-information go by, even as "satire.")

Much as is the case with the web, search engines for books will be an amazing tool for users, authors, and publishers alike. Only the short sighted and the greedy (and greed is definitely a factor -- people seeing that google has figured out how to create value from something they've effectively thrown away, and are now suing because they want to recapture some of that value) are banging the drum about the dangers of this program.

Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO, O'Reilly Media,
1005 Gravenstein Highway N., Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1-707-827-7150 http://tim.oreilly.com