Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Banks want to know why you want your money, "know their customer" all too well [priv]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:48:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw () gmail com>
Date: October 21, 2005 12:34:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Banks want to know why you want your money, "know their customer" all too well [priv]

Dave,

When I was in high school, long before kids had credit cards, the school had a lunchtime operation courtesy of a local bank. We could put small amounts of money into savings accounts, probably not much more.

So I saved dimes and nickels for a while, and eventually accumulated what I needed for a purchase of some kind. I went to the bank-place to get my money, and they refused. I don't recall all the back-and- forth, but it included at least
  Them: We don't keep funds here.
  Me: OK bring the funds tomorrow.
  Them: We're here to encourage saving.
  Me: Yes, I saved up for what I want. Now it's time to spend.
  Them: What do you want to spend it on?
  Me: That doesn't matter, it's my money.
  Them: We don't do withdrawals here, only deposits.
  Me: How can you possibly do one without the other?
  Them: To encourage you to save
  Me: I saved. Now I will spend. Then I will save again.
  Them:We won't give you the mony.
  Me: It's mine. How do I get it back?
  Them: You have to go to the main branch, but make an appointment
                 because your account records have to be moved.

I eventually got the money, and you'd better believe that I never trusted them with any more.

Mary Shaw