Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Secrecy vs. openness: Three counter-arguments to Kurzweil and Joy [fs]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:01:23 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: George Dyson <gdyson () ias edu>
Date: October 18, 2005 10:51:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Secrecy vs. openness: Three counter-arguments to Kurzweil and Joy [fs]

And a fourth one, from Edward Teller, no less:

"Science thrives on openness... but during World War II we were obliged to put secrecy practices into effect. After the war, the question of secrecy was reconsidered... but the practice of classification continued; it was our 'security,' whether it worked or failed... We now have millions of classified technical documents... The limitations we impose on ourselves by restricting information are far greater than any advantage others could gain by copying our ideas... I do not claim that openness will never lead to trouble, but I am sure that it offers us the best possibility of getting safely home."

Edward Teller, "The Road to Nowhere," Technology Review, 1981.