Interesting People mailing list archives

Yahoo, Microsoft link IM services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:00:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Udhay Shankar N <udhay () pobox com>
Date: October 12, 2005 12:40:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Yahoo, Microsoft link IM services

Dave,

Very interesting. The enemy of my enemy is my friend??

Udhay

http://news.com.com/Yahoo%2C+Microsoft+link+IM+services/ 2100-1025_3-5893802.html?tag=nl.e498

Yahoo, Microsoft link IM services
By Margaret Kane

Yahoo and Microsoft announced plans Wednesday to make their instant messaging services interoperable.

Consumers using the Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger programs will be able to exchange instant messages, see the presence of their contacts, share emoticons and add friends from either service, the companies said. Interoperability is expected to kick in during the second quarter of 2006.

The project will let both companies take on America Online's AOL Instant Messenger service, or AIM, which dominates the instant messaging arena. While all three companies have worked together in the past, most of the progress toward interoperability has been on the corporate side.

Yahoo and Microsoft said the combined customer base for their two programs is around 275 million.

<snip>