Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Termination Fees Hurt Consumers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:25:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Orlowski <andrew.orlowski () theregister co uk>
Date: October 11, 2005 8:45:47 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Locked In a Cell: How Cell Phone Early Termination Fees Hurt Consumers

From: Shawn Selleck <selleck () post com>:
First of all, no providers provide a pay-as-you go service that is any less than a monthly service. I checked. It is at a minimum $1 plus calls if you don't want a contract. So we relented and he is with Cingular since they allow him to use his tri-band phone, but he still has a one year contract of which he'll only use 9 months--and no service at my parents home.

This isn't quite true. If you're in an area with T-Mobile coverage there are a number of Pre Pay options. There are lousy value compared to what's on offer in Europe and Asia - but many short- and medium- stay visitors to the Bay Area from Europe use this.

http://www.t-mobile.com/prepaid/overview.asp

--
Andrew Orlowski
US Editor, The Register