Interesting People mailing list archives

more on This Just in: Flops Caused Box Office Slump

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 06:18:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: October 1, 2005 9:26:11 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: Zach White <zwhite () darkstar frop org>
Subject: Re: [IP] This Just in: Flops Caused Box Office Slump

At 07:06 PM 10/1/2005, Zach White wrote:

The studios still don't get it. The reasons for declines at the theater
run deeper.

The fact is that the experience at the theater is no longer better than the experience at home. I used to watch a movie at the theater at least
once a month. I now go maybe once a year.

I go once a week. But the difference between my experience and
yours (with annoying ads, long lines, etc.) is that I am not going
to a chain theater. I'm going to a small, local one which hosts films
personally selected by the owner in cooperation with the local film
society (which I helped to found several years ago). There are no
commercials, and there are only trailers when they have especially
high production values or are entertaining by themselves.

You can't buy tickets online, but that's not a problem because
the line -- which is served by several local students who work for
the owner -- moves quickly. And you get a 20% discount off the
already reasonable admission charge if you are a member of the Film
Society.

In short, while the studios can be blamed for the limited number
of good films that are available (thank goodness for the small,
independent filmmakers), they aren't to blame for the annoyances
you experienced. The owners of the theaters have a tremendous
amount of control over the experience -- and could have eliminated
every one of the distractions and delays you experienced.

--Brett Glass