Interesting People mailing list archives

No More Wine Shipping in PA?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:27:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee Miller <Lee () Chaddsford com>
Date: October 7, 2005 12:39:53 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: No More Wine Shipping in PA?

                       ___________________________________

                                       Chaddsford Winery e-news
                                 From Proprietors Eric and Lee Miller
                       ____________________________________

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter,
please click and send: Chaddsford-off () mail-list com

In This Issue:

*  Aftereffects of the Supreme Court's Ruling
    on Direct Wine Shipping to Consumers

*  Seven Valleys Chambourcin Alert!

*  Spiced Apple Sundays Continue

PA LIQUOR CONTROL BOARD BANS
SHIPPING OF PA WINES TO PA CONSUMERS

By now, most of you who live in Pennsylvania have heard of this
weeks's ruling banning PA wineries from shipping wines to PA
consumers as of November 1st.  It is a direct result of the recent
Supreme Court ruling which required states to stop any
discrimination concerning wine shipment, i.e. that in-state
wineries and out-of-state wineries must be treated the same.  Since
PA did not want to allow out-of-state wineries to ship to PA
consumers, they decided to "level the playing field" by stopping
in-state PA wineries from shipping.

To say that this is a shock -- coming with three weeks notice at the
beginning of the hectic holiday season when 90% of our shipping is
done -- is quite an understatement.  It stands to ruin a substantial
part of our business, and, certainly, our profits for the year.
Chaddsford Winery, like the other 90+ wineries in the state must now
"fight back" to preserve our businesses and our industry.  To that
effect we are asking for your help!

The Pennsylvania Wine Association (PWA) is seeking an injunction to
postpone this unfair ruling until January 1st, and is appealing to
the Pennsylvania legislature to help our small, family oriented
agricultural businesses by passing new laws that are favorable to
our industry.  We will be meeting, en masse, in Harrisburg on
October 18th for a press conference, and will be visiting all PA
legislators to tell them our story.  If you believe in our small
wineries and also the right to have wines shipped to you, we
encourage you to write your local legislators and let them know how
you feel.  Following is a message from the PA Wine Association
president, John Kramb, asking for such assistance.  We pass it on
intact, and thank-you in advance for your help!

Eric and Lee Miller
Chaddsford Winery Proprietors

Dear valued PA wine customer,

You may have heard by know that the Pennsylvania Wine Industry is
under attack from forces that would like to put us out of business,
or severely curtail our ability to conduct business.  Already, the
Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board has issued an order that prohibits
us from shipping directly to our customers who live in Pennsylvania.

We need your help.

Please contact your elected Pennsylvania representatives, and let
them know that you value and support the Pennsylvania Small Farm
Industry, and that you want for them to pass legislation that allows
wineries to stay in business.  Here is a sample letter:

Dear Representative/Senator __________:

As your constituent, I strongly support the Pennsylvania Small Farm
Winery industry, and I urge you to do the same.

Pennsylvania wineries offer the best of Pennsylvania agriculture and
tourism, they are employers, and they pay significant sums of money
in the form of taxes.

I greatly enjoy visiting my local Pennsylvania winery (insert winery
name here) because of the friendly staff, the ambiance of the
on-farm experience, and the variety of wines that they offer.

Please support legislation that promotes Pennsylvania wineries.

Sincerely,

(Your name)

RESERVE TASTING THIS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9:
SEVEN VALLEYS CHAMBOURCIN

The wine is officially sold out, and there will not be another
release until we bottle our 2004 vintage next Spring.  But for fans
of Chaddsford's Chambourcin, Seven Valleys Vineyard, you have the
opportunity to come taste (and purchase) several vintages this
Sunday with senior wine educator Mark Cochard.  This tasting will be
done in our Reserve Tasting Room throughout the afternoon, on the
hour.  For more info on wines to be tasted, call the Winery at
610-388-6221.

ALSO ON SUNDAY....
SPICED APPLE SUNDAYS AT CHADDSFORD WINERY
Sunday, October 9 & 16

Put down your rake, forget about the yard work, and come out to the
winery for a taste of Fall in the Chester County countryside.
Spiced Apple Sundays are about harvest time, relaxed afternoons of
wine and music, picnics with good friends, and -- of course --
Spiced Apple Wine.  Our staff will be filling the crock pots with
your favorite hot mulled Spiced Apple recipes and there will be lite
music to enjoy on the deck from 2pm-5pm.  See bands and details at
http://www.chaddsford.com/website/events/festivals_concerts.asp

To Order Wine Directly:
http://www.chaddsford.com/website/store/order_form/order_form.asp
Have any questions for the winemaker?  Want more information?
Please feel free to e-mail us at cfwine () chaddsford com

   Chaddsford-list-owner () mail-list com

To unsubscribe, click on the following web page.
http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=chaddsford&nm=dave () farber net

This message was launched into cyberspace to dave () farber net