Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Progress and Freedom Foundation: Leave DMCA alone, don't permit circumvention! [ip] {v2}

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:43:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Glenn Fleishman <glenn () glennf com>
Date: October 8, 2005 10:32:00 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: more on Progress and Freedom Foundation: Leave DMCA alone, don't permit circumvention! [ip] {v2}

Bob Frankston rages:

I recently posted an essay on Kodak's WiFi Camera http://
www.frankston.com/?name=SATNEasyShare -- it turns out that you have
to pay Kodak extra if you actually want to get the bits that
represent the pictures. The more pictures the more it costs per picture!

I have an EasyShare-One for testing. While it locks users in for Internet uploading to the Kodak EasyShare Gallery (these long marketing names...), you
can also easily transfer images in two others ways:

* First, pictures are stored in a normal fashion on a Secure Digital card and
can be transferred over on any computer that supports card readers.

* Second, the "transfer" feature for the camera lets you use Wi-Fi to transmit images across a *local* WLAN to a computer on the same subnet running Kodak's included Mac or Windows software. It's almost unique for a company to release
Mac and Windows software at the same time for a major product release.

I've spoken to the product manager and asked if it were possible that in a future firmware release, they'd just add SFTP (Secure FTP that uses SSH to secure the control and data transactions). He wouldn't be pinned down, but
they're definitely going to modify features over time based on consumer
suggestions.

If enough people write Kodak saying they'd buy the camera if it had SFTP or
WebDAV (with SSL support), etc., perhaps they would make it a priority.
--
Glenn Fleishman
seattle, washington