Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Progress and Freedom Foundation: Leave DMCA alone, don't permit circumvention! [ip] {v2}

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:03:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: October 8, 2005 12:04:30 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: 'Declan McCullagh' <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: Progress and Freedom Foundation: Leave DMCA alone, don't permit circumvention! [ip] {v2}

Years ago at an Upside Magazine event in DC I asked Boucher about Moore’s law because of the obvious impact on technology and legislation. He didn’t have the concept. Over time over I’ve spoken to a number of well meaning public servants and it’s been discouraging. It’s not that the people are trying to do harm, but they go for stories that make the most sense to them – facts only confuse.

I recently posted an essay on Kodak's WiFi Camera http:// www.frankston.com/?name=SATNEasyShare -- it turns out that you have to pay Kodak extra if you actually want to get the bits that represent the pictures. The more pictures the more it costs per picture!

What I found most disturbing is how little protest there is to the lack of ownership or control -- the kids today are so depressing well- behaved. Of course they've always been.

I can foresee the next generation of DMCA focused used by schools. They lease the knowledge but never sell it. These schools will have very attractive tuition plans -- you just assign 10% of your future income streams and guarantee not to pass on any learning to others.

Unauthorized sell of teaching materials will be considered attempts to circumvent. But so is telling people that holding the shift key down will prevent automatically running the protection software on a PC