Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Proposed change to export regulations and foreign students (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 07:05:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joe Pistritto <jcp () jcphome com>
Date: May 8, 2005 9:14:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Mike O'Dell <mo () ccr org>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Proposed change to export regulations and foreign students (fwd)

Don't put it past them.

These are exactly the same regulations that my favorite rocket company (XCOR Aerospace) has to enforce for any foreign student (intern) they hire. The implementation is a bit different (in aerospace, its more like a blanket prohibition on a wide range of activities, including even talking to specific people), but its the same underlying regulations.

At the Space Access conference in Phoenix recently, ITAR came up one of the top 3 things to do this year in aerospace policy. It's *killing* the industry. I dont think anyone there wants to transfer technology to the Chinese, but the way ITAR works, "everyone" is the enemy, which means a citizen of a NATO ally is just as "dangerous" as anyone else.

Reforming this is top priority.
 -jcp-

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>