Interesting People mailing list archives

Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:07:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: May 30, 2005 7:58:19 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: (w/link) Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11878

Intel quietly embeds DRM in it's 945 chips firmware
Posted by Dan Bell on 29 May 2005 - 01:07 - Source: DigitMag

According to this article over at Digit Online Magazine, we finally are seeing the copyright holders protection hit at the hardware level. Intel is now embedding digital rights management in the new dual-core processor Pentium D and the 945 chipset found in the motherboard. Furthermore it's enabled and works along side Microsofts DRM model, unfortunately no ones tallking much about it. The new system can theoretically give content holders the option of denying copying and re-distribution of their products, so this is understandable from a marketing standpoint.

Even though Intel was able to avoid mentioning the new DRM scheme at the Australian launch on the 26th, Australian technical manager for Intel, Graham Tucker, publicly let it slip that Microsoft-flavored DRM technology will be a "feature" of Pentium D and 945. We have to wonder how this will affect the use of recordable drives and the accompanying softwares out there. Luckily, at first it probably wont if we can believe this quote.

"[The] 945g [chipset] supports DRM, it helps implement Microsoft's DRM ... but it supports DRM looking forward," Tucker said, adding the DRM technology would not be able to be applied retrospectively to media or files that did not interoperate with the new technology.

However, Tucker ducked questions regarding technical details of how embedded DRM would work saying it was not in the interests of his company to spell out how the technology in the interests of security.

So if I read this correctly, the DRM will not affect what is out in the field now, and is more for use in the future. The details were carefully left out though on specifically how the new hardware will perform it's DRM duties for "security reasons" and I suppose we will need to keep listening for more information. Meantime, it sure makes it easy to resist taking the plunge for a new Pentium D! I wonder if they will drop the old Intel inside logo, as it could frighten off some and send them scurrying over to AMD. Hopefully, the DRM features will be able to be turned off in the BIOS but it's hard to know from reading this story.