Interesting People mailing list archives

more on So now the FTC is in on the act

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 14:40:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: May 29, 2005 9:25:34 PM EDT
To: Phil Karn <karn () ka9q net>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] So now the FTC is in on the act

Would these recommendations be more to your taste, Phil? :)

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/5/47/34935342.pdf

This is a paper that I wrote a few months back, on spam issues in developing countries. Funnily enough, 99% of these are the same issues that people / ISPs etc face anywhere in the world, whether in the USA or in Nepal and Nigeria.

    suresh

Phil Karn wrote:

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

The FTC recommendations are remarkably like the ones that several ISP postmasters, working together, have adopted as a best current practice for ISPs, at MAAWG (http://www.maawg.org)

Obviously the wrong people are working on those BCPs. I guess it's time to get involved and show them both why port blocking is so objectionable *and* that there are even better ways to accomplish what they want without causing so much collateral damage.