Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cell phones on planes worry US law enforcement

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:17:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: May 28, 2005 5:52:38 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Cell phones on planes worry US law enforcement

Dave,

There are even bigger risks.  Potential hijackers could coordinate
with accomplices on the same planes using sophisticated audio
frequency air pressure modulation and interpretation techniques --
that is, talking -- to further their planned attacks.  They could
also use advanced calligraphic manipulations -- handwriting --
toward similar ends.

But not to worry, there is a solution.  Years ago, I suggested that
the obvious path to genuinely secure airline travel was to fly
passengers in planes devoid of all cargo or luggage of any kind,
with every passenger chained naked to their seats.  Apparently we
need to add "restraining passengers' arms and hands" as well, to deal
with the handwriting risks, and force all passengers to wear gags
during flights to avoid the obvious terrorism risks associated with
speech.

In the past, I've suggested that airline passengers would most
likely be unwilling to put up with such security regimes, even
though they would be far more effective than confiscating doodads
that are less dangerous than items that *are* permitted into the cabin
(e.g. umbrellas).

However, I should note that I've received more than one message
explicitly suggesting that there are folks who would gladly pay
*extra* to be treated by the airlines in the manner that I've
outlined.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () eepi org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -