Interesting People mailing list archives

Banking Alert (fwd)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:57:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: May 24, 2005 7:13:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Banking Alert (fwd)

Dave -

I thought you might be interested in this email I received, which looked
like the usual phishing stuff.  But, this one was really from Citibank.
When I logged on, I was presented with the message I've included below.

I'm not sure if email from a bank like this is going to reduce the number
of people taking the phish food or increase it since they'll grow to
accept random communications from their financial provider.

Regards,

Carl

========== Citibank Web-based Message Service Says ===================

Dear Customer:

Can you tell when an e-mail is "phish-y?"

If you can't, you're not alone. "Phishing" refers to unsolicited e- mail that often looks remarkably like it's from a trusted source, but is really an attempt to lure you into providing personal or sensitive information. The information that's collected is later used to commit fraud.

To help you avoid these e-mail scams, we've developed a way to help you verify that an e-mail is really from Citibank retail banking. Here's what we've done.

From now on, at the top of every e-mail from Citibank retail bank to your public e-mail address, you'll see a personalized header-called an E-mail Security Zone that includes your first name, last name, and, the last four digits of your ATM/Debit Card number.

Be suspicious of any e-mail that claims to be from us but which does not include this information. Also be particularly careful with e- mails that have an urgent tone. Be aware that Citibank will never include your entire ATM/Debit Card number in an e-mail-only the last four digits will be used. Please be careful to review these numbers to ensure they are yours. Become familiar with your ATM/Debit Card number, because you'll need to know it to verify the number in the Security Zone. Don't respond to e-mails asking you to verify personal information. We will never send you an e-mail asking you to do so. If we have an issue with your records, we'll contact you another way.

If you receive a suspicious looking e-mail claiming to be from Citibank, please forward it to emailspoof () citigroup com. We continually monitor these reports and we act on them promptly.

If you'd like more information on phishing and other ways to protect yourself, please visit our "e-mail fraud" section at Citibank.com.