Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC VoIP 911 order

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 17:20:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: May 22, 2005 12:22:33 PM EDT
To: N3jmm () aol com
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC VoIP 911 order

The implementation, both legal and technical, need not be complex nor terribly expensive. It's the long term implications, as you say, that could be bad.

Consider this implementation: the FCC mandates the following: every DHCP client sold must accept a new location identifier. Every commercial VOIP phone or service must get this info and pass it on for E911 use. Every commercial dhcp server (e.g. in your cheapo "cable router" box) ISP would be required to get this info from the ISP (they have that info already anyway) and pass it onto its own dhcp clients. Public access providers (e.g. libraries and cafe hotspot operators) would be required to upgrade; the rest of us would just do it automatically, accept for those of us who build our own gear, relay our traffic over encrypted tunnels, etc.

Writing this up more formally would make for a short RFC. It would cost the government nothing (although the taxpayers would still be shouldering the bill as a sort of tax, but it wouldn't be a high one).

And the government already lays all sorts of burdens onto the ISPs. I do see this as opening a can of worms since now law is poking into protocols themselves, a barrier previously never breached. THAT worries me more than anything else.

(By the way you could argue that protects VoIP services since it cauterises a line of attack that some state PUCs (e.g. Texas) have been trying to use to attack these services).

-d

From: N3jmm () aol com
Date: May 22, 2005 5:01:42 AM EDT

"Finally, the Commission stated its intention to adopt, in a future order, an advanced E911 solution that includes a method for determining the customer’s location without the customer
having to self report this information."

I suspect that this is impossible with the present structure of Internet and that requiring it may have unforeseeen implications not to mention cost.