Interesting People mailing list archives

more on seeking a forecast

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 14:42:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin () law miami edu>
Date: May 21, 2005 10:44:30 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] seeking a forecast

Strip US citizens of their citizenship so we can torture them as enemy combatants or deport them?

1. Citizens by birth: never (not legally anyway - rogues in the executive branch may claim illegally to have done so but, as the Supreme Court recently made it almost clear in the Hamdi and Padilla cases, the executive branch can't toy with the rights of citizens in this manner.)

It would be unconstitutional. Indeed, the principle of citizenship is so fundamental that were the powers that be ever to do such a thing, the nation they governed wouldn't be the US any more.

2. Citizens by naturalization: the question needs additional specification because we do this already in special cases where the government can prove in court that the person lied on their application [e.g. former Nazi prison guards] or omitted something important. The idea is that the fraudulent acts in the application vitiate the naturalization. Thus, you'd have to say something like "stripped a naturalized citizen of citizenship for acts committed subsequent to naturalization".

At which point the answer should be, and almost certainly will be, see #1, since we don't have two classes of citizenship for anything other than eligibility to serve as President.