Interesting People mailing list archives

What is the FCC going to do about counties without 9-1-1

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:41:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charles Jackson <chuck () JACKSONS NET>
Date: May 19, 2005 10:50:53 PM EDT
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM
Subject: Re: What is the FCC going to do about counties without 9-1-1

Steve Maloney wrote: E 911 is not available in many parts of the country. In
Idaho there are only a few counties where E911 has been implemented.
At
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=&- ds_name=PEP_20 04_EST&-_lang=en&-mt_name=PEP_2004_EST_GCTT1R_US25S&-format=US-25| US-25S&-CO
NTEXT=gct there is a county-by-county listing of estimated population.
On July 1, 2004 LA County had an estimated population of 9.937 million.
In contrast, Loving County TX, had an estimated population of 52! (If there are emergency services in the county, one doesn't need E911, one just dials 911 and says, "Jim, it's Mary, I'm in trouble and need help!" If there is a
911 service the dispatcher at the PSAP knows where everybody lives.
Loving County is last on the list (Rank 3077).  200 places higher in the
list is Rank 2877-Sheridan County MT with a population of 3,620. A quick
eyeballing of the list shows 4 Idaho counties in the least populated 200
counties. (Adams, Butte, Camas, and Clark) Clark County has an estimated population of 906. At http://www.state.id.us/aboutidaho/county/ clark.html
they report a land area of 1,764 square miles.  Adams County (the most
populated of the Idaho counties in the least populated 200 counties in the USA) has a population of 3,451 and a land area of only 1,370 square miles.
(For context, Montgomery County Maryland is 497 square miles and has a
population of 921,690.)
Some time ago I lived in Valley County, Idaho (adjacent to Adams). Valley County has an estimated population of 7,970. Of course, it's bigger than Adams or Loving Counties; it has a land area of 3,733 miles. Maryland, at
9,843 square miles, is more than twice as big as Valley county.
To sum it up, I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about people in the 200 counties without 911 service. Such people probably don't number more than 500,000, are in low-crime areas, and have neighbors who will help if
asked.

Chuck Jackson