Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The software industry is learning from the RIAA?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:34:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Bricklin <danb () bricklin com>
Date: May 19, 2005 11:57:32 PM EDT
To: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, 'Brett Glass' <brett () lariat org>, dave () farber net, 'Ip ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] The software industry is learning from the RIAA?

Brett,

Be careful about your history. You are thinking of VisiOn. Those of us at Software Arts (Bob, me, and many others), were not involved in VisiOn, which was written by developers at our publisher, VisiCorp. VisiOn, for its day, as I recall, was fast (on an 8088, but better on an 8086...) and the resolution was high for a PC (full res of the graphics cards of the day). It had lots of other problems which I won't go into, but it did goad Microsoft into doing Windows, which took them forever (and they got to wait for much more capable hardware). The high prices, as I recall, were for the apps, which were not bundled, and were set around like the prices of 1-2-3, Wordstar, dBase II, etc.

VisiCalc (the product Bob and I did) came out at about $100 (later raised to over $200) -- a steal compared to the $5,000/month you'd pay for timesharing financial forecasting, and had a great, zippy, character-based UI that lasted for many years.

People frequently get our companies confused. It's not fair to the developers of VisiOn (who worked quite hard on it) to assign it to us who get enough credit for doing VisiCalc (which those developers did not do), nor is it fair to us who did lots of good other stuff to remember us for the failed product of the company that sued us as they were releasing their competing spreadsheet on VisiOn.

-DanB