Interesting People mailing list archives

Report from Personal Democracy Conference 5/16/05

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:38:09 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Date: May 18, 2005 11:24:51 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: isen () isen com
Subject: Report from Personal Democracy Conference 5/16/05

Hi Dave

I thought readers of IP would be interested in my report from
the Personal Democracy Forum Conference held in NYC on Monday
which was just published on OhmyNews.

I met Dave Isenberg there and it was a treat to meet someone from
the IP list in person.

The article is:

Internet and Politics: U.S. Style
Report from the Personal Democracy Forum in New York City, May 16, 2005

The url is:

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp? menu=A11100&no=227041&rel_no=2&back_url=

Dave Isenberg was part of a panel that described the Philadelphia wifi
efforts. Here is a excerpt from my article about that part of the program
of Monday's conference:

2) A presentation on Wireless Networking followed. The panel was titled "The Promise of Municiple Broadband". Dianah Neff, the Chief Information Officer of the City of Philadelphia spoke about the political problems encountered in trying to provide wireless Internet access to citizens at an affordable price. She described a grassroots campaign conducted by the city. Citizens were eager to support a municipal wifi project. Later the grassroots process helped Philadelphia city officials to counter the telephone company lobbyists' pressure on the State legislature to require the local governments to wait until the telecos decide if they wanted to provide a wireless network in a city. (See Daniel Rubin, "Working without a wire.)(4)

Also on the panel, was Andrew Rasiej, who spoke about the need for the city of New York to make affordable wireless Internet access available to citizens. David Isenberg, who acted as moderator offered a rhyme to sum up the panel:

   "Freedom to connect
   It's like any other right
   We'll have to fight for it
   Or they will come