Interesting People mailing list archives

more on New Risks of Automatic Speedtraps CRYPTO-GRAM, May 15, 2005

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:04:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bill Williamson <batkiwi () happychinchilla com>
Date: May 16, 2005 6:20:25 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] New Risks of Automatic Speedtraps CRYPTO-GRAM, May 15, 2005

David Farber wrote:

at a spectrum of speeds with reasonable gaps between them, we are seeing "pelotons" of cars traveling closely bunched together at the same high speed, presenting unfamiliar hazards to each other and to law-abiding slower road-users.
The result is that average speeds are going up, not down.

Just three comments.

1. What about accident rate? That is the true measure of its effectiveness.

2. If average speed is going up, but the maximum speed is going down, and accident rate is going down, then so what? This keeps people from zooming by at 100 and killing themselves and a taking few others with them. If everyone can safely travel together at 79mph on this road, then I'm not certain what the issue is.

3. Finally, I saw no mention of anything except anecdotal evidence. That, plus the failing to provide stats for the true measure of "danger" in a stretch of road, points to this being a load of nothing.

Anyways, just my thoughts.