Interesting People mailing list archives

[Fwd: Port 25 blocking]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 04:44:32 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Phil Karn <karn () ka9q net>
Date: May 12, 2005 1:06:08 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: [Fwd: Port 25 blocking]

From: Phil Karn <karn () ka9q net>
Date: May 11, 2005 4:56:15 PM EDT
To: rsk () gsp org
Cc: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: Port 25 blocking

>And blocking port 25 _bidirectionally_ is a recommended best practice
>for all consumer ISPs -- well over 90% of the spam/spam attempts logged
>here come from the estimated 100M zombies out there which are now
>participating in an ongoing global DoS attack via massive spamming.

I take *very* strong opposition to this statement. The job of an ISP is to deliver packets without discriminating on the basis of content, period. That content includes TCP port numbers. Only when a recipient complains that a particular user is spamming, attacking, or spreading malware should an ISP take any kind of action against the sender. And that action should consist of complete disconnection, not just blocking port 25.

Your approach simply causes unacceptable collateral damage. Many people prefer to run their own personal email servers. These are not spammers or virus writers. They have many perfectly legitimate reasons to run servers, ranging from wanting to avoid the invariably slow and unreliable servers provided by their ISPs, to wanting a readily accessible audit log confirming the actual delivery of their email, to wanting to use a third party's email service, to wanting to benefit from the extra degree of security protection provided by the STARTTLS encryption facility that can only be obtained when it's run to or from your own mail server.

There seems to be an implicit, unquestioned, almost mystic belief that somehow forcing all end users to route outbound mail through their ISPs' mail servers will magically stop spam and viruses. Apparently all those servers must be running some sort of 100% effective filter. The fact is, such filters don't exist or we'd *all* be running them. So the only way that an ISP's mail server can limit outbound viruses and spam is to throttle *all* outbound email from *all* users -- and that's exactly what usually happens in practice. That's one of the reasons so many users have the perfectly legitimate desire to run their own mail servers.

Many, if not most, inbound mail servers already run spam and virus filtering mechanisms to block malicious traffic in that direction. That is something I encourage as long as the recipient retains full policy control, because these servers are not perfect. One good approach, followed by some enlightened ISPs, provides IMAP servers and automatically places spam into a separate Junk folder where the user can still look at it for false positives if desired. I myself rarely find false positives, but I do make a point of reporting all phishing spams to the financial institution in question to help track their origins. This isn't possible if I don't get them.

Again, the overriding principle *must* be RECIPIENT CONTROL. The recipient may choose to delegate spam and virus filtering to his ISP. Or he may choose to do it himself, e.g., if he runs his own inbound mail server. That's his right too. But if sender-side blocking of port 25 becomes universal, then the right of the recipient to control what he receives is taken away. This is not acceptable.

Indeed, when an ISP forces all outbound mail through a single server, it actually impairs the recipient from doing certain kinds of filtering, such as source IP address blocking, because such a block would stop all email from all users of that ISP. Just another example of why sender-side port 25 blocking is such a bad idea.

Your own argument shows, unintentionally I'm sure, that it's a bad idea. Every ISP on the planet has to do port 25 blocking, or the bad guys will simply move to those ISPs that don't. In particular, many ISPs that already do block port 25, either directly or by submitting their dynamic IP address blocks to the MAPS DUL, still offer static IP addressing without port blocking as an option. I subscribe to such a service myself (Speakeasy DSL's "sysadmin" option, where they specifically promise to never block any port) precisely so I can run my own email server with a minimum of hassle.

Such unblocked services are obviously also available to spammers and would-be virus writers. So the logical consequence of your argument is to pass a law that *no* end user may ever be allowed to send a packet to port 25. Then how do you legally define an "end user"? Would an ISP need a formal government license to run an email server that sends directly over port 25? Is this the direction you *really* want to take the Internet, where the power and utility have always come from the lack of red tape and government regulation in the provision of useful services to others?

Think through the consequences of what you're advocating, and I think you'll have to conclude that it's just a bad idea. The only workable approach is for the recipients to retain policy control over what they receive, and your recommendation takes that away.

--Phil