Interesting People mailing list archives

Microsoft calls for online identity overhaul (long)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 04:34:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bennison, Mark M" <mark.m.bennison () mbda co uk>
Date: May 12, 2005 2:49:28 AM EDT
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Microsoft calls for online identity overhaul (long)

For IP if you wish...

"Microsoft calls for online identity overhaul" (http://www.vnunet.com/ news/1162956)
Tom Sanders at Digital ID World in San Francisco, vnunet.com 11 May 2005
The IT industry needs to adopt an identity meta system to overcome existing issues with online identities, Kim Cameron, Microsoft's architect of identity, told delegates at the Digital ID World conference in San Francisco.

In designing such a meta system, Microsoft will unveil an identity service to replace the failed Passport system in a keynote at the conference on 12 May.

The meta system is required because the industry, including Microsoft itself, has failed to create a secure and fail-safe solution for online authentication.

Authentication suffers from an abundance of standards which are not aligned and confuse users. This has created an opportunity for hackers and computer criminals to launch phishing attacks and commit identity theft.

"The ad hoc nature of the internet identity patchwork cannot withstand the ongoing assault of professional attackers," said Cameron.

"What we have done is teach the world to indiscriminately put their credentials and personal identifying information into almost any form that appears on the screen. And then we make fun of them for being subject to phishing [attacks]."

Existing standards like Secure Sockets Layer encrypted pages, the Kerberos authentication protocol or the Liberty Alliance for digital identities are all part of this patchwork.

But the problem, according to Cameron, is that there is no agreement between these standards on the nature of a digital identity, and which scientific laws play a part in digital identity.

"When we do start talking about identify, we always have to go back to this tabula rasa," he said. "I've had people come in with all these proposals about what we need to do with identity, and every time it's back to square one again."

Although the problem may seem daunting, it has been solved before. Cameron pointed to device drivers that have created an abstraction layer between software and the display, so that software developers were not required to know on what display their software would be deployed.

Similarly the rise of TCP/IP allowed programmers to stop worrying about whether they develop software for a computer that used Ethernet, Token Ring or some other networking standard.

Cameron came up with seven laws during an online discussion which dictate whether a online identity technology will succeed or fail.

The laws include users having the right of veto over what technologies they do and do not use, as well as the requirement that a party governing an identity is "justifiable".

The latter caused Microsoft's Passport service to fail as a general online authentication service, but made it successful as a log-in service for Hotmail and MSN Messenger, according to Cameron.

"[Users] want to have a relationship with Microsoft within a context that makes sense to them," he explained. "[Passport] is fine within their relationship with Microsoft, but it's not fine in their relationship with Amazon or eBay."

Cameron also claimed that the Bluetooth wireless technology is wrongly designed because it constantly transmits a signal, turning the owner of a Bluetooth device into a beacon. Radio Frequency ID suffers from the same problems.

A RFID tag in a passport, for instance, could be used by terrorists to identify an American citizen.

"RFID is fine for a can of beans, but it's not suitable to be impregnated into our children," he said. "We have designed all this technology in a very naive way."

Cameron promised to publish an overview of his seven laws on his Identity Weblog, although the list had not been posted at the time of going to press.

John Shewchuck, chief technology officer for distributed systems at Microsoft, will unveil the company's plans for the next generation of digital identity in a keynote presentation on 12 May.

Part of the proposal is a structure where individuals can use multiple identity sets, each containing different information and having different privacy risks and characteristics. It will be up to the user to decide which set he chooses to hand out.

Microsoft declined to provide any additional details about its plans prior to Thursday's keynote.

Note although the article states that the "seven laws" weren't posted at the time of the article they appear to be now, and I reproduce them below (from http://www.identityblog.com/stories/2004/12/09/ thelaws.html)

The Laws of Identity

People who work on or with identity systems need to obey the Laws of Identity. When we don't, we leave behind us a wake of reinforcing side-effects that eventually undermine all resulting technology. The result is similar to what would happen if civil engineers were to flaunt the law of gravity.

The Laws of Identity are not about the "philosophy of identity" - which is a compelling but entirely orthogonal pursuit.

Instead, they define the set of "objective" dynamics that constrain the definition of an identity system capable of being widely enough accepted that can serve as a backplane for distributed computing on a universal scale. Our goal is to change the identity conversation enough that its laws are no longer argued as "moral imperatives", but rather as explanations of dynamics which must be mastered to craft such a universal system.

Our intentions are pragmatic. For example, when we articulate the Law of Control (stated below), we do so because a system which does not put users in control of their own identity will - on day one or over time - be rejected by enough users that it cannot become and remain a unifying technology. The accordance of this law with our own sense of values is essentially irrelevant. Instead, the law represents a contour limiting what a unifying identity system must look like - and must not look like - given the many social formations and cultures in which it must be able to operate. And so on for the other laws.

These laws are objective because they pre-exist our consciousness of them. For example, the Law of Fewest Parties explains the successes and failures of widely promoted real life systems in spite of the fact that those who built the systems were totally unaware of them.

The Laws of Identity, taken together, establish significant constraints on what a unifying identity system can be. The emergent system must conform to all of the laws. Understanding this can help us eliminate a lot of doomed proposals before we waste too much time on them.

The first big breakthrough is to understand that "some set" of laws exist. The second breakthrough comes from wrestling with what they are. In doing this we need to invent a vocabulary allowing us to communicate precisely about them.

We've now come to the end of the Seventh Law. I am working on a paper that integrates all the thinking we have done together since this discussion began. But for now, it's best (and often amusing) to follow the actual blog conversation, which has really been helpful to me in clarifying these ideas.

1.  The Law of Control:

Technical identity systems MUST only reveal information identifying a user with the user's consent. (Starts here...)

2.  The Law of Minimal Disclosure

The solution which discloses the least identifying information is the most stable, long-term solution. (Starts here...)

3.  The Law of Fewest Parties

Technical identity systems MUST be designed so the disclosure of identifying information is limited to parties having a necessary and justifiable place in a given identity relationship. (Starts here...)

4.  The Law of Directed Identity

A universal identity system MUST support both "omnidirectional" identifiers for use by public entities and "unidirectional" identifiers for use by private entities, thus facilitating discovery while preventing unnecessary release of correlation handles. (Starts here...)

5.  The Law of Pluralism:

A universal identity system MUST channel and enable the interworking of multiple identity technologies run by multiple identity providers. (Starts here...)

6.  The Law of Human Integration:

The universal identity system MUST define the human user to be a component of the distributed system, integrated through unambiguous human-machine communications mechanisms offering protection against identity attacks. (Starts here...)

7.  The Law of Contexts:

The unifying identity metasystem MUST facilitate negotiation between a relying party and user of a specific identity - presenting a harmonious human and technical interface while permitting the autonomy of identity in different contexts.

© Copyright 2005 Kim Cameron.

Cheers,

Mark.