Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Implications of fast, automated 3-D mapping not considered

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:32:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Avideh Zakhor <avz () EECS Berkeley EDU>
Date: May 10, 2005 11:44:11 PM EDT
To: Bob Alberti <alberti () sanction net>
Cc: dave () farber net, avz () EECS Berkeley EDU
Subject: Re: Implications of fast, automated 3-D mapping not considered

Bob:

I am afraid you, and possibly others have mis-interpreted, and misunderstood what I said; or perhaps the comments were aired out of context.

Pehaps this clarifies it:

There are two things at stake here.

1. 3D models of cities which as I said can be used in many ways, game industry uses them, can be put on cell phones. These models are already available for sale by many companies and terrorists and non- terrorsits can pay money to buy them.

Our research is concerned with ways of making these models much faster than previously known techniques: hours instead of weeks.

2. When I talk about " it could be a terrorist tool", it refers to the methodology of creating models in a fast way, not the models themselves. I believe it is the methodology and the products that create the models that should NOT be in the wrong hands.

As for the models being on cell phones, their 2D version already is and their 3D version will be soon.

Avideh Zakhor