Interesting People mailing list archives

"Build Your TV!"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 09:51:37 -0500

Mar. 2, 2005, San Francisco Bay Guardian
"Build Your TV!"
By Annalee Newitz

'ALL I WANT is to make a high-definition copy of Buffy the Vampire
Slayer, save it on a DVD, and loan it to my friend," says Sarah Brydon,
looking up from a long table covered with half-built computers. These
sound like the words of a science fiction nerd, not a revolutionary. But
Brydon is a new breed of protester ­ and she's expressing her discontent
with the U.S. government by building a television.

She's one of a dozen consumer activists who have gathered on a Saturday
morning in late January for a high-definition television "Build-In" at
the Mission District office of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (where
I work). Part computer hardware nerdfest, part hell-raising political
action, the Build-In is a high-tech protest of a new Federal
Communications Commission regulation called the "Broadcast Flag" . . .

Link: http://www.sfbg.com/39/22/cover_fcc.html

------ End of Forwarded Message